When Asked what toys I would recommend for summer many toy ideas quickly spilled from my lips. This made me think that maybe I should sit down and make a thoughtful list about them. I hope you find this list inspiring and I hope you feel free to add to it at the bottom in the comments.
1. Bikes are beloved by children and many adults of all ages. Just today my 4 year old was asking for an upgrade. She would like something pink and she would like to flowers on it. She also would like it to have a bell. For my younger little one I am considering one of these.
A Balance Bike! You can click on the photos for links!
2. Pretend Play cloths for dress up from dragons, knights, princesses, and fairies to Doctors and Fire Fighters and teachers! You can’t go wrong with this category! Many of these items can come from your own closets and things you no longer use, as Grandama if she has anything she thinks the children might be able to us! The thrift stores and yard sales can also lend a hand in creating a bountiful chest of imagination accessories!
3. Pools! Getting out to the beach or public pool is sometimes not possible or not the best option for your family so sometimes getting your own backyard pool can really add to the summer fun! For small children even just a small pool to splash in will bring a summer full of fun.
4. Squirt Guns! If your like me, you don’t like the idea of guns to be anywhere near the words play. I however really value squirt guns. Recently we acquired a new more as like our bubble toys, the neighbor hood kids flocked to the fun and there was not enough to go around. So like the bubble toys, we stocked up a bit. I think we still need a few more. While I really do not love plastic, I think this is one of those exception I am happy to make!
This nerf one is one that my husband specially likes and thinks we need to get a few more of as it works very well and the kids tend to grab for this one first.
5. Balance Toys are wonderful and not just for small children. You can find all sorts of different kinds and in different challenging areas. You can also make your own balance beams. It might seem rather simple but it might be because children simply love them.
6. Books are fantastic for summer. Come now you did not think I would leave them off such a list did you? Books are essential to summer. Not all days are bright and sunny, and some days your stuck waiting in a Doctors office even. Pull out a new summer book and save the day! Maybe pick up some new books to help give your children some new creative ideas too!
7. Puzzles and Blocks are helpful summer toys for those rainy days as well, though my children are known for taking them out on nice days to play with as well. They are not hard to find and can be cheap too. I know my family would love a set like this.
9. Pretend Playtime is the nickname of summer for young children. Another great toy for them are tea sets. Do you remember dragging Grandma outside to play tea with you and your dolls as a child? I do and it is one of my fondest memories.