Keeping Summer Fun With Jumping Words

As many parents know, there is often learning loss that happens over the summer months when kids are out of school. This can happen to homeschoolers like my own or any student. One of the ways we can help prevent the loss is by practicing skills your children already have in fun and creative ways.

picstitch2

Activity: Jumping Words

Supplies Used:

• List of spelling words to practice
  • Trampoline
  • Street Chalk

How To Play:

Before your children get on the trampoline do the normal once over, check the springs, the net, make sure everything is save. Then using the spelling words list write on the trampoline the words in large letters leaving a few feet between each word. Then welcome your child or children to get on the trampoline and give them a few minutes to read the words to themselves.

Next, call out a word and ask your kids to jump to it. This can be a bit chaotic and if your children are rough you might want to change how you do this. My kids are very kind to one another when playing this and like to help one another so it works out well. When they get the word right, give them another on to find. When you have gone through all the words change the game by asking them to jump to a word with a certain last letter or vowel. This really depends on the level your child is at but you could also ask them to find a verb, or give them a riddle to solve with words. There are many possibilities and you can quickly see what options your children like the most! Let them make the rules and have you jump to words!

You can see in the example photos above I used very simple site words that my 4 year old knows. Her older siblings where happy to jump on them too and that just caused me to have to be more creative with simple words for older kids such as giving a words definition rather then the word itself and asking them to jump to different words to make silly sentences.

After a while the words get blurry, this gives you a chance to write new words. You can use a towel to have the kids fully clean off the trampoline if desired between word sets.

This could of course also be done on a drive way if a trampoline is not handy!

This game is easily adapted to math and other areas like learning the 50 states!

Follow Kimberly Storms (LittleCrunchy) on Google+!

Comments

1. Bella Vida Letty says:

What a fantastic way to combine learning with fun. This is such a creative idea.

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

That is such a fun idea! I might have to try this.

3. This is such a fun idea! I wish that we had a trampoline in the backyard. I would love to do this with my daughter during her next play date.

4. Danielle says:

What a great idea! We have a trampoline now so this will be fun to try out.

5. Cool! Never thought of using chalk on a trampoline. Great idea!

6. Sounds like fun, we only have a small trampoline because of lack of room. My kids would love a big one!

7. Jessica @EatSleepBe says:

What a neat idea. My youngest loves the trampoline. I’m going to have to try this!

8. What a great way to incorporate a little learning into a fun activity!

9. What a great idea! Learning is so much easier when it’s made fun!

10. Laura (Lauras Little House Tips) says:

What a super clever idea. Definitely passing this one since I don’t have little ones. I wonder if it would work the same way to get a man to do his chores haha. Like write out mow the lawn ..jump..Dump the trash. I love that idea. Maybe we have an adult game too 🙂

11. Wendy Del Monte says:

This looks like a really fun activity! Tires them out as well, so they get a good nights sleep!

12. janelle says:

this makes me want to jump on a trampoline! i didnt know you could write on them.

13. Lexie Lane says:

Wow! What a great way to teach them! Some fun with education! Lovely!

14. Oh my goodness, you are a genius… what a great activity…Love it and will totally do it with my kids. Thanks for sharing

15. This looks like a great activity for little ones! Wonderful idea!

16. Maggie @ The Love Nerds says:

This is such a great idea! It is so important to keep skills fresh in the summer!

17. Liz Mays says:

It sounds like there would be oodles of laughs while all the learning is going on. Love this idea!

18. What a fun way to keep your kids learning through out the summer!

19. Wendy Del Monte says:

We don’t have a trampoline but this looks like SO MUCH FUN!

20. Annie {Stowed Stuff} says:

What a clever idea! If only we had a trampoline! My kids LOVE to bounce!

21. Maria Oller says:

What amazing idea when my kids were younger I couldn’t get them off that trampoline I bet it they could have learn to spell like that

22. This is such a great idea! Thanks!

23. WOW– I am blown away by the simple creativity here. A fun way to get your kids to learn plus exercise! thanks, I will be trying this w/ the boys.